The Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program enables qualified individuals the opportunity to establish themselves as permanent residents so that they can effectively establish themselves as an independent traders or professional in the province.
Note: The Quebec government reached the intake quota assigned for the Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program in December 2018. However, candidates with approved and recognized language test results having an intermediate-advanced proficiency in Speaking and Reading in French can still apply and have until October 31, 2019, to do so.
The Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program
Quebec is all open for self-employed foreign nationals who are interested in immigrating Quebec to work as an independent trader or professional. Besides meeting the minimum requirements for the program, the Government of Quebec says the self-employed worker must accept the following conditions:
- Select the means and method of performing the work;
- Organize the work;
- Deliver the tools and equipment for the work;
- Perform most of the specialized duties; and
- Support the loss risks resulting from the work after collection of the profits.
Requirement for the Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program
- According to Quebec’s Immigration Ministry, the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI), foreign nationals desiring to obtain permanent residence in Quebec under the Self-Employed Worker Program must be at least 18 years of age and meet other program requirements.
- In order to get the consideration of selection , self-employed workers based in Montreal must register a start-up deposit of $50,000 or more at a particular local financial institution. Candidates based in regions outside of Montreal will have to deposit at least $25,000.
- All Self-Employed Worker Program candidates must obtain the passing score under the Quebec Economic Class selection grid for the Quebec Self-Employed Program. Candidates are awarded up to 99 points for factors including education level, experience, language proficiency in French and English, stay duration and family in Quebec, age, financial sufficiency, amount of deposit, and financial resources. Candidates can score up to 112 points if accompanied by a spouse or common-law partner.
- All Quebec Self-Employed Worker applicants must state their own self intention to reside in Quebec. During the review of an application, Quebec Self-employed candidates might be invited to attend a selection interview.
- The following are the minimum requirements for the program:
|Education level||Secondary school general diploma|
|Professional experience as a self-employed worker||Have acquired a minimum of two years experience in the profession or trade that they intend to practice after establishing themselves in Quebec.|
|Financial self-sufficiency||Submit a contract to prove financial self-sufficiency.|
|Deposit for startup||Register a start-up deposit of at least $50,000 at a local financial institution if based in the metropolitan area of Montreal. Candidates based outside of Montreal will be required to deposit at least $25,000.|
|Minimum net worth||Have legally acquired a minimum of CAD$100,000 in net worth, alone or with the help of their spouse or common-law partner in the event that the spouse or common-law partner is accompanying.|